A Thompson Reuters
John David ("J.D.") Blakley
After spending four years practicing at a large and prestigious Dallas-based
law firm, J.D. Blakely joined the Dunn Sheehan, LLP family in 2013. He
has spent his career representing both plaintiffs and defendants in complex
disputes related to business law, all while focusing on commercial litigation.
He has a deep knowledge of, and invaluable skills pertaining to, an array
of litigation matters such as contract law, relations regarding partnership,
fiduciary and shareholder, employment and labor cases, defamation, fraud
and business torts, and trade secret disputes.
Throughout his career, J.D. has developed a unique understanding in the
field of procurement law. This relates to all levels of government contracting
(federal, state, and local). This allows him to help clients with contract
performance and requirement aspect, focusing on successfully resolving
disputes involving government entities, including through requests for
equitable adjustment, contract claims, and bid protests.
J.D.'s knowledge and experience are just some aspects of his practice,
but his work ethic passion and dedication towards each and every case
sets him apart.
- In July of 2013, obtained summary judgment disposing of a six-figure contract
claim against a commercial client.
- In 2012, successfully defended against the appeal of a $1.3 million judgment
in a client's favor, assuring a final and executable judgment for
- In 2011, on behalf of a small business contractor, successfully protested
the award of a nine-figure federal contract to a larger competitor.
Education & Experience
- Associate, Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP (2009-2013)
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law,
with honors (2009)
- Intern to Hon. A. Joe Fish, United States Senior District Judge for the
Northern District of Texas
- Intern to Hon. Jane Bland, Justice for the First Court of Appeals of Texas
- Staff Member, American Journal of Criminal Law (Fall 2007-2008)
- B.S., Texas A&M University, magna cum laude (2006)
- University Undergraduate Research Fellow, Office of Honors Programs
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
- Member, National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Member, Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
Admitted to practice before:
- Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers